Friday, December 3, 2010

Book Club

I was in a book club for nine years.  Not one of those online deals or the buy three books get one free book clubs.  But a read a book a month, meet at each others homes, go out to eat, take trips together, raise our children together...real live book club.  When I first joined, there was an application process, I had to write an essay, get voted in by the founding members all that jazz.  So of course, I felt honored and like I had been invited to something special and for a time it was special.  However, over the years it became more like a snobby, cliquish, fashion show and no one wanting to go against the grain (or the brain) of the majority if you disagreed with the opinions of a book, and less like a book club where all opinions matters, we don't care if you just got off of work we are just glad your here and want to know what you are thinking kind of book club. So after nine years, I went against the grain.  I left, no bye, no telephone call, no letter just left.  They did not seek me out and I did not seek them out.  They were probably just as relived to see me go as I was to go.  But I missed it.  I missed the discipline of reading monthly and having differing opinions to argue over.  I missed the business meetings and learning about new authors that I would have never sought out on my own.  I missed the idea of a book club.  So after a two year hiatus, I was invited to join another book club and actually have and have taken the opportunity to start my own.  Tonight was my first night of the already established book club and it was definitely different than what I am use to being a part of but I can see myself going back.  Next week is the first night of the book club that I am starting and already I see it takes a lot of hard work and effort to pull this thing off but it has been exhilarating.  But I think the most profound thing I am learning from this experience is that God uses your passions.  I realize whatever I am going to be doing in the future does not look like what anybody else is already doing or has already done.  He has a million and fifty ways to use me and the gifts that He has given me and make it into whatever His plan and purpose for those who are apart of the journey and those who will be touched by those in the journey.  So as I reminisce on old things and contemplate on present things and dream about the future things, I realize I do not regret those nine years.  Those experiences taught me a lot and I plan on using the lessons.  Now as I start this new endeavor, I am excited and scared.  It does not have to compare to anybody Else's thing, it doesn't have to look, smell, taste or feel like anything else any one is doing just do what I do best and make sure He is all up in the middle of it all and everything else will fall into place!

No comments:

Post a Comment